Sunday, June 6, 2010

Just call me Dr Jones, Doll

There's this guy I call the ginger giant, why? Because he's got red hair and he's quite tall. The relationship that I share with the ginger giant involves me acting like an idiot in his presence. I know what you're thinking, oh good! Well, it does work in your favor. So I run into him here and there on Wednesday nights when I volunteer for church, I do something stupid and then avoid being around him for the rest of the time he's there. Last Wednesday he happened to be there and through the whole of the night I'd managed to not be a complete prat. Phew! Sadly had started to count my chickens before they hatched. I was one of the last people to leave so I put my ear phones in and headed to the subway, swiped my card and walked onto the platform. I looked to my right and who do I see? 2 girls I work with chatting with the ginger giant. Well, they saw me, I had to be social now, I slowly walked over while I took my earphones out said hi as the train pulled into the station. We all got on the packed train and ended up standing in our little group. We all started chatting and the train pulled out of the station. I was still in the midst of putting away my music and ear phones, which I always detach from my music due to an issue with a previous ipod where I lost the function of one of the ear buds due to compression on one of the boards somewhere in the device due to earphones staying in all the time and being wrapped around it.
My left hand expertly found it's way to the pocket where I store my iphone and my left hand patiently waited for it's turn to put away the ear buds. Suddenly the train jerked and I found myself loosing what little balance I had. With cat like reflexes my left hand jumped forward for the poll just in front of me, and the ear buds, dutiful to the laws of physics came along with it. Unfortunately I hadn't put the bulk of the ear buds into my hand and just had one portion of the cord, thus allowing the ear buds to fly out in a perfect arch and due to its loyalty to physics and centripetal force the ear buds continued to arc through the air and come back toward the poll where I held on tightly. They flew fast, they flew hard and they flew just millimeters away from some dude's face. As I saw the ear buds get dangerously close to this guy's eyes my own eyes bulged out in shock, horror, amazement and fear. Luckily for everyone involved, ie me, the ear buds and the guy I was so close to blinding, the lad didn't look up and without knowing it saved his sight. There was nothing I could do but watch as the ear buds kept flying through the air until they came to rest tightly wrapped around the poll and my hand.

It was over! We all made it out alive and the train was on a stable path. I relaxed a little and released my grip on the poll, probably with a little too much force as the reverse of what I'd previously watched with eyes in horror replayed itself. Why did I have to repeal my grip so quickly? It may have had something to do with the rising of color in my cheeks at my stupidity, and the never fail situation of making an arse of myself in front of the ginger giant.

What did my travel companions have to say about my epic abilities? Well, in what I think is a way to help me not feel like an arse was to start talking about using a whip to hold your balance on a train, just like Indiana Jones.

I didn't take offence when the guy I very nearly blinded got off at the next stop.

No comments: