Friday, June 27, 2008

Bionic Powers


Coney Island is back! They said last year was the last, since Disney acquired it and has their own plans, but here it is again. Nothing but good family fun times, great food and a clean enough atmosphere to eat off the boardwalk. But really, the only reason to go to Coney Island is... the Cyclone.

This rickety old wooden whip rolling thriller death trap is just about as old as the famous Nathan's hot dog stand on the boardwalk. Apparently Nathan's hot dogs are like the best ever. All this veterinarian knows is that since they put up their calorie content it looks like everything on the menu is a heart attack in the making.

Back to the roller coaster, after getting up at the butt crack of dawn to do an open swim out there with my roommate's tri team and a few hours catching some rays (PS my tan is looking good so far) it was off to the roller coaster as the Mermaid Parade had everyone else mesmerized. With the help of some new Team in Training friends we slid and twisted into the cars that were the size of my foot, but on the plus side the lap bar was padded. The thin metal 'oh crap bar' however, was not.

Little did I realized as I was whipped from one side of the car to the other on the hairpin turns and dropping headfirst into what could certainly be my emanating death that I would feel something that was better than Christmas. Yes, I said it. The ride was over all too soon and as we shimmied our way out of the car and to collect our bags the vendors were letting us know (nice way of saying they were yelling at us) that we could re-ride the historical monument for only $5, a deal from the original $8. A few steps later and the deal was down to $3. We were sold. Turns that give whiplash, drops that remind you what you ate for lunch, salt windburned lips that crack from the smile and or terror...Bring it on.

I think it was on this go that while I grasped the 'oh crap bar,' holding on for dear life that some metal shards became embedded into my thumb. I got most of them out, but thought it would be fine to be bionic for a day or 2 before the metal decided it was time to come out. I also wanted to see what sort of bionic powers I would get. Sadly, I didn't get to breath under water, run really fast, or see into the future. So I don't know what good this metal shard in my thumb is.

Wednesday I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands. If this metal sliver wasn't going to give me any bionic powers I was done with it.

Sadly, it never got infected or decided to come out on its own, so I did what I could. And it still doesn't want to come out and is only slightly infected because I have been trying to get it out.

So I guess I'm saying, there's still hope for bionic powers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Next time I come to visit I am totally there!