Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fashionista

I'm not sure why this guy in my ward decides that he needs to dress like a pimp, especially in the middle of winter. I know we go to church in Harlem, but really, are we buying into perpetuating stereotypes to the point we do at church? I am glad that he feels comfortable with himself enough to sport the long coat with the fur collar and the zoot suit hat. The feather wasn't there today, but I'm sure he had it in his pocket.
Now, I'm sure you're going to say he's gay. But, I'll tell you this for free. No gay man would ever find himself dead in that outfit. It would be one thing if this were a single occurrence, however, the steady repetition of shoes and hats and jackets and the cut of his suits leads one to believe that dressing like a pimp is a learned habit. So now you're thinking, how do you see him every week and not laugh at the ensemble?? Well, it's tough. He always seems to catch my eye and I think, Oh look, there's a pimp walking down the street. Then I see his face, and I'm like oh, it's what's his name. A chuckle into my scarf and a shake of my head I head over for a quick hello. I'd give more details, but I'd like to protect the identity of the pimp that goes to my ward. And as a status as a pimp with the ladies, well that's not concurrent either.

1 comment:

Liz Royall said...

Oh, I so need to see the pimp in his attire. I think right there, knowing that I would see a new wonderful ensamble would motivate me to go to church every Sunday.